Saturday 18 June 2022

CLICK - Tribute Slide-Show to TK Chiba Sensei - 1940 - 2015

" It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty, and how few by deceit   " - Noel Coward

KYU SHIN DO 
If you or your teacher claim to have been friends of Kenshiro Abbe Sensei ? You are not welcome here

" If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything " - Mark Twain




Kenshiro Abbe Sensei - 1915 - 1985

Judo History

1933 - Promoted to 5th dan at age 19 years - Japans youngest holder of this grade.
1936 - Graduated 1st from ` Busen Martial Arts College in Kyoto` Won the main trophy in the all Japan East West Championships.
1936 - Won the 5th dan Championships in the Emperors Imperial Tournament.
1937 - Promoted to 6th dan - the youngest in Japan at 23 years of age.
1946 - Promoted to 7th dan at 31 years of age - the youngest ever in Japan.
1955 - Arrived in Britain as resident master at the ` London Judo Society `.
1956 - Appointed National Coach of the AJA
The great Japanese Judo Champion Takahiko Ishikawa 9th dan described Abbe Sensei as the worlds greatest teacher.

Appointments

Chief Instructor to the Kyoto Police & Doshisha University
Editor of National Japanese Judo Magazine
Director of Kodokan Judo Films.
Director of Kyoto Judo League .
Tech: Adviser and Broadcaster on Judo to Japanese Radio and Television Services.
Superintendent of Kyoto Police
Judo Instructor to Japanese Army Staff College.

Abbe Sensei's most Famous Fight

Kenshiro Abbe's  Sensei's most famous fight as a Judoka occured in 1936 in Saineikan at the Imperial Palace - Tokyo.
The line comprised of all godan - the best and strongest competitors in all Japan.  
The best five were selected to fight all contestants , Abbe Sensei finished  each opponent in less than one minute, including Kimura Sensei, who at that time was regarded as the strongest Judoka in contemporary Japanese Judo History. 


Kyu Shin Do 
Kenshiro Abbe Sensei's philosophy, theory and principal of movement - not a Martial Art


" No matter your pretense - you are what you are and nothing more - Kenshiro Abbe Sensei

Kenshiro Abbe Sensei  - Read the article  - "Trying to Catch the Wind "



This old photo is of the original ` British Judo Council ` badge - The emblem is Abbe Sensei's family crest of the butterfly. The BJC was formed in 1958 - Initially it was the body for Judo - Kendo - Karate - Aikido. Later each would have its own organizing council under the umbrella of the BJC .

Aikido - 1955 - 2016 - For those that studied with Sensei's  Kenshiro Abbe - Tadashi Abe - Masahilo Nakazono - TK Chiba Sensei in those early days will remember their Judo and Aikido being true Budo, something that very few will ever see or feel again.





For the declining numbers of surviving direct students of the UK early Japanese teachers, we are still saddened by their loss, our sadness is tinged with anger at the amount of  shameless people who will use the names of the deceased Japanese masters in a pathetic attempt to give themselves some form of credibility to their otherwise uneventful life in the martial arts.  

30/9/15 - I have just read of an 8th dan ( same grade as Abbe Sensei :-)  who claims to have trained with Abbe Sensei in the 1970s [ Abbe Sensei was no longer in the UK - he also trained at Chigwell summer schools in the 1970s with Abbe Sensei [ summer schools ended mid 60s ] he also trained with Nokiano [ Is that a mobile phone ? ] which I assume is Nakazono Sensei who had moved to NM USA :-)

My 10th dan BS Award goes to this story.
Extract: Sensei Bloggers mother brought Kenshiro Abbe Sensei from Japan to personally teach her son - Abbe Sensei stayed at their home teaching Blogger Sensei all of the Budo arts - Abbe Sensei was also the godfather of baby Blogger
[ Name changed to protect the Numpty ].

KSD
Kyu Shin Do


Kenshiro Abbe Sensei - 1915 ~ 1985
8th dan Judo -Aikido 6th dan - Karate 6th dan - Kendo 6th dan - Jukendo 6th dan.

Kenshiro Abbe Sensei article  ->  "Trying to Catch the Wind "






Left Site Admin; Henry Ellis Shihan
Grading diploma's signed by Osensei M Ueshiba (2) - Kenshiro Abbe Sensei - M asahilo Nakazono Sensei - TK Chiba Sensei - Miteru Ueshiba Doshu.

It is the intention of the few surviving direct students from the 1950s of Kenshiro Abbe Sensei, friends sharing a common bond who still remain in contact with each other, to continue to protect the proud history and legacy for present and future generations of genuine Budoka who will one day want to filter the truth from the depths of the ever increasing cess pit of bullshit .We will continue to protect Sensei's name and legacy from those that would abuse his name for their own devious ends and purposes.




L to R: W Woods Sensei - Hamano Sensei 9th dan - K Abbe Sensei 8th dan. - 1963

Kenshiro Abbe Sensei's ` Kyu Shin Do ` was his creation of the theory and perfection of Judo circular movement.

Yet over the years it has become so many different things to so many disreputable martial artists.
Direct students of Abbe Sensei such as the late Bill Woods sensei and my good friend Gerry Gyngel - Ray Twitchen and others including myself, found it difficulty to grasp the depth of Sensei's teaching.
It is amazing that so many that have never met Abbe Sensei presume to know more about KSD than Sensei himself.
It is with sadness and disbelief that I see people are actually grading each other to dan grade in KSD - how the L do you get a dan grade in a theory ? - I am told there is one guy who claims to be sixth dan KSD - now that is a lot of theory.

Henry Ellis Shihan - Admin.


MayoShinDo Discussion on Bullshido




" " " Outside of Japan the Tokushima Budo Council of Europe is the only authorized guardian of Kenshiro’s legacy of Kyushindo Theory study and practice " " ".


 [ The above incredulous statement by the TBC who  refer to Sensei disrespectfully as ``Kenshiro's `` ]

A Public Reply by William `Bill` Woods - LJS Judo Champion 1954 - Personal Aide and Secretary to Kenshiro Abbe Sensei 1955 - 1969
Replies to
``Kancho``  Alf Bates of the ` Tokushima Budo Council

Photo left: The late -W `Bill `Woods, 8th dan  -  Right:: The late  Alf Bates Kancho 10th dan (?) 

Today there are more than ever before increasing numbers of claims to have been personal friends of Kenshiro Abbe Sensei - or the really bizarre claims to have been left the Theory of KyuShinDo in their personal care.
There are now so many of these claims, the most prominent offenders are the Mayo Shindo Group.
Bill Woods Sensei offers his concerns of the claims of the Tokushima Budo Council.
Sadly there are many who are too willingly believe - but there is always hope whilst there are genuine students that will seek out the truth.

Please read this open letter from my old friend  William `Bill` Woods Sensei.


W `Bill` Woods Public Response to the Claims of Mr Alf Bates
14th  January  2001

In answer to the nonsense printed about the Butokukwai and sent to me by a colleague, I am now setting out the truth of events.


Left : Kenshiro Abbe Sensei.

I was the only person to stay with Abbe Sensei throughout his first stay in England. From being a `special student `at the LJS in 1955 until his departure in 1964 for the Tokyo Olympic Games. ( I was LJS Champion in 1954 )

The uke you do not mention with Abbe Sensei is Mick Surgett.( One of my old 3rd dans ). The D
ai Nippon Butokukwai was closed by General MacArthur after the last war ( when judo and other martial arts were banned, and it was never reopened. Former graduates of the Busen ( The Teachers Training College ) included Abbe Kenshiro and Michigami Haku.

The awarding of the ranks Doshi - Renshi - Kyoshi and Hanshi etc is the prerogative of the Emperor of Japan. Before the war it was only given by the Butokukwai. Since the war permission had been given to three groups ( only one Judo ) This was to the Kokusai Budoin ( IMAF )  who awarded me the rank of  Kyoshi ( No 5239 )in May 1997.  I was also awarded my 8th dan Judo ( No 146 ) in July 1999, the only foreigner to be awarded this grade by I.M.A.F.
Would Mr Bates also please give details of his certificates from Japan ? If he cannot then credence should be given to the fact that this resurgence started in America, with all that this implies. Concerning  " The Dream of Abbe Sensie ". He never gave the B.J.C. to Mr Bates.

Left: Matsutaro Otani Sensei.

I was Chief Instructor for Abbe Sensei from the time he left the L.J.S. until he returned to Japan in 1964.

Mr Bates was not known. I was also the 5th secretary ( after Robin Otani left ). Robin was then only 15 years of age, too young to tell grown men what to do. I said this to Abbe Sensei later on and he agreed with me. When I took over and reorganised the O.K. the membership was just over 3,000. Two years later it was over 13,599. After one year I managed to get an office in Denmark Street, off Charing X road. It was 9` x 6` and cost us £2-50p per week. At least I was away from the Otani house in Acton.

Before Abbe Sensei returned to Japan, he always said he would take me with him, but never did. In 1964 he informed me ` that it is not necessary for me to have a secretary when I am not here, only a committeeto run things in my absence`. My friend Tomio took over and with Miss Smith ( both full time )took over a suite of rooms as an office, with a committee consisting of D Delderfield, G Gyngel, and others under the presidency of Matsutaro Otani. ( this story can be checked with them ). Mr Abbe never put the reins of the B.J.C. in the hands of Mr Bates.

Left: Gerry Gyngell.

Mr S Hamano 9th dan and chairman of the Kodokan Grading Panel was only a 4th dan when he refereed a young Kenshiro Abbein a Tournament and they became good friends.

I met Mr Hamano when he visited the Grange Farm Centre to see Abbe Sensei. I took Mr Hamano, Mr Abbe and Mr Nakazono ( an Aikido teacher 7th dan, who had been 6th dan Kodokan when he was 25 years old. I took them to the Budokwai, Fulham, at John Newman's request in Diggers car. ( Digger was an Australian 2nd dan.) Later we all had dinner at Mrs Yamada's House in Clapham.

Photo right: Tomio Otani Sensei.


While at the Budokwai, G Koizumi, G Kerr, and others had been invited.
Tomio Otani was the eldest son of Matsutaro Otani and my best friend. We got our Kendo dan grades together on the same day ( 1961 ) from Abbe Sensei, and although my certificate is No 1 and his No2 Tomio was a great Kendo teacher and left me behind when he went forward to 2nd dan and over. ( I stayed at 1st dan )  Among Tomio's pupils was a remarkable John Shaw who was then 1st kyu. I think he is 5th or 6th dan now. Tomio was in the Territorials as a Paratrooper, not in the Army itself, he would not have stood for the `Bull`.

The New Committee that ran the B.J.C. since 1964 could not answer all the mail and soon got into difficulties. When at Abbe Sensei's insistence I took on the job as secretary I informed him that I had no office experience, but that I would do it for £14,00 per week and a £1,00 rise every 1,000 new members. He agreed to this. I finished up selling all my swords.

After some years in Japan, Abbe Sensei returned to England, apparently when he asked Mr Otani for the return of the B.J.C. Mr Otani refused saying it was his. After Abbe Sensei's exhibition at Crystal Palace, at which I was present, Charlie Clark drove Abbe Sensei to my caravan in Radley, near Abingdon,where I was living, Abbe Sensei told me what had gone on and asked me to go back to London with him and `start again`. I told him that I had no money, a job with British Leyland and lived in a caravan with my family.
Abbe Sensei said that I could get a jobin London and work for him in my spare time. I said ` No` I'd had enough. It was the first time I had refused Sensiebut I was feeling bitter. Abbe Sensei then returned to Japan to live. In 1985 he died following a stroke.

Nobby Clarke had told me many years before that the B.J.C. was splitting in two. As I had been instrumental in increasing the membership of the B.J.C. I would have nothing to do with it, however Nobby told me that Matsutaro Otani was going to change the B.J.C. to his way of doing things, and if I wanted to continue with Abbe Sensei's way then I had better become technical advisor, which I accepted. As Tommio, Mr Harada ( The Karate Teacher ) and Nobby have died, the above can be verfied by Robin and Henry Otani, Martin and Norman Clake, Miss Smith and D Delderfield.


When Abbe Sensei left the Sandwhich Street Dojo ( Euston ) he gave the dojo called the " Busen " to Sam Collinham and me. I took Judo and Sam the Karate. When I left the dojo later I gave my half to Sam. I always called my Dojo's Busen, when some time later I was contacted I agreed with Robin Otani that he use the Abbe family Mon ( badge ) and I use the Butokukwai Mon.


I have in the past been very tolerent of Mr Bates's wild claims which are probably made to justify his so called grades. But by trying to invoke the name and attributes of the Butokukwai I have drawn the line.
Let Mr Bates tell the truth or keep quiet.
W,S,Wood.
14th - January - 2001.


A Privileged Student.
Photo right:  Derek Eastman - Bill Woods - Henry Ellis - 2002 - It was good to spend time with my old friend Bill Woods at his home which was like a small museum of Budo. I have known Bill from the 1950s. I said to Bill  " There are so many people who claim to have been Abbe Sensei's friend - perhaps you Bill are the only one that could honestly make that claim ?" - Bill replied  " Harry I was never Sensei's friend, but I was a very privileged student ".

Photo right:
L to R:  Bill Woods - S Hamano - K Abbe.

I was at the 1963 Grange Farm Summer School with Bill when Shoji Hamano Sensei 9th dan Kodokan came to pay his respects to Abbe Sensei.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.